Olvid, secure messaging for everyone

2023-12-02T23:00:00Z
The French government has asked members of the government and ministerial cabinets to install the French application Olvid on their phones and computers "to replace other instant messengers in order to reinforce the security of exchanges ", the offices of Prime Minister Elisabeth Borne reported on Wednesday November 29, 2023

Olvid is a secure messaging application designed to offer maximum protection for user confidentiality. Based on strong cryptographic technology, it claims to be the world’s most secure messaging application. Here are some key features of the Olvid application:

1. End-to-end encryption: Olvid uses end-to-end encryption to ensure the confidentiality of your messages. This means that only you and your recipient can read your messages. Even Olvid can’t read them.

2. No phone number or email required: Unlike other messaging applications, Olvid doesn’t require you to provide your phone number or email address to sign up. This adds an extra layer of confidentiality.

3. Strong authentication: Olvid uses a technology called « Key Agreement Protocol » to guarantee the authenticity of participants in a conversation. This prevents man-in-the-middle attacks.

4. Self-destructing messages: Olvid lets you configure messages to self-destruct after a certain time, adding an extra layer of security.

5. Open-source: Olvid is an open-source application, which means its code can be examined by anyone to verify its security.

olvid-logo

Benefits of the Olvid application:

1. Enhanced security: Olvid is the world’s most secure instant messaging application, with features such as the elimination of centralized user directories and end-to-end message encryption.

2. Anssi certification: Since September 2020, Olvid has been the only instant messaging application certified by the French national agency for information systems security (Anssi), reinforcing its credibility in terms of cybersecurity.

3. Metadata removal: Olvid goes beyond simple message encryption by also securing metadata, contributing to a more comprehensive protection of user confidentiality.

4. Multi-platform availability: Olvid is available free of charge on Android, iPhone and PC, making it easy to use on a variety of devices.

5. Secure contact addition procedure: Contacts are added by scanning a QR code, a secure method for guaranteeing contact authenticity.

Disadvantages of the Olvid application:

1. Limited adoption: Despite its advanced features, Olvid’s use remains limited, raising questions about its reliability when scaled up.

2. Paid options: Although the application is free, paid options are available, which may restrict full access for some users.

3. Need to replace existing messaging services: The process of transitioning to Olvid involves abandoning the main consumer instant messaging applications (WhatsApp, Telegram, Signal), which may be restrictive for users accustomed to these platforms.

4. The deadline set by the government for Olvid deployment (December 8, 2023) may be restrictive for government departments, requiring a rapid and potentially complex transition.

5. Dependence on a single application: By strongly encouraging the use of Olvid, there is a risk of dependence on a single application, which could cause problems in the event of future vulnerabilities or service failure.

Install Olvid from the Play Store for Android

Install Olvid from the Apple App Store for iPhone

Need help? Click here: Olvid - FAQ

• Yes, I have installed Olvid
  • No, I haven’t installed Olvid
  • I may install Olvid
  • I will never install Olvid
  • I trust Olvid
  • I don’t trust Olvid
0 votant